Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Post Christmas Dune Walk

Today was a perfect December day. I was able to sleep in which was wonderful. After a shower and a light breakfast I headed out to Provincetown to take a hike in the dunes and on the beach. The temperature was decent and the wind wasn't unpleasant. I took a different walk that I've never taken before and it sure was beautiful. I had to deviate a few times from my path due to high tides.

I parked out near 6A and headed Southeast toward the tip of the Cape. Along the walk, I climbed to a high point in the dunes and looked out. The sky was relatively clear and from this spot I could pan my eyes around 180 degrees and see 4 lighthouses: Wood End Light, Race Point Light, Long Point Light, and Highland Light in Truro. Very cool. I've added text to a google map of the area below for reference.


Provincetown Lighthouses

Race Point Light was built in 1876 and is open year round. Other buildings are still standing on the site including the keeper's house. From Race Point Beach, the lighthouse is a 45 minute walk.

Long Point Light was originally built in 1826, however the tower was rebuilt in 1875. This lighthouse is accessible by boat shuttle or a strenuous hike.

Wood End Light is not open to the public, but the grounds are. This lighthouse was built in 1872 and features a fog signal horn that blasts every 30 seconds. A walk from Provincetown's West End leads to the lighthouse.

The Highland Light, also known as the Cape Cod Light, was originally established in 1797 and rebuilt in 1857. Also on the grounds of this lighthouse is a museum. Inside the museum, once a summer resort house, are various artifacts, including shipwreck mementos, firearms, whaling gear, furniture, and a pirate's chest.

I only walked to the Wood End Light before turning around and heading back. The total walk was about 5 miles and on the way back I ended up filling up my pockets with neat looking rocks. I couldn't help myself.

I am now currently exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. We've had such accommodating weather the last week or so. Glad you're getting to make good use of it!

    ReplyDelete