I remember the first time I was allowed to stay up late and watch the ball drop on New Year's Eve. I can't recall how old I was but it was a very big deal to me at the time. I was so excited to stay up late and watch Dick Clark's New Year's Eve show and especially join in the countdown to the New Year while the ball dropped in New York. It was such a big to-do and finally I would be able to take part in it.
Well New Year's Eve rolled around, and I wasn't too impressed with Dick Clark's New Year's Eve show. I remember being okay with that because I really wanted to count down and see the ball drop.
I was extremely disappointed when the count down began and the ball started to lower. It didn't fall. It moved very slowly down the poll during the countdown. I expected to see the ball literally fall; maybe even shatter sending light sparks over the crowd. Surely this couldn't be it. I waited while the ball lowered thinking maybe there would be a light explosion once the ball reached the bottom of the poll. Of course there wasn't and off to bed I went disappointed thinking, "I stayed up for that?"
Unfortunately not a whole lot has changed.
Ha!! That is exactly how I remember it, too. It was the first time I'd ever been allowed to stay up till midnight, and I remember wishing afterwards that I'd spent the time reading instead of watching the lame TV coverage.
ReplyDelete(We didn't have Twilight Zone marathons in those days.)
Yeah. We have to make some actually interesting traditions.
ReplyDelete