I found this interesting:
"To say two people communicate successfully means no more than that they have arrived at a point where their mutual interpretations, each expressed in action interpretable by the other, are compatible – they work for the time being" (Glasersfeld, 1995).
I like that quote. I thought a lot about what it means to "know" a person when I realized I really didn't know the separate personalities of two girls, identical twins, in my Girl Scout troop. It took me a long time to be able to tell them apart from their physical appearance. I think I focused on that quite a bit, but then even after that I didn't get a clear idea of their separate personalities.
ReplyDeleteI think our communication, our agreeing, our disagreeing, our knowing, is based on so much less than we think, or rather, so much of it is in our own mind and I think quite a bit less than we realize is external to ourselves.
P.S. Don't you agree?
ReplyDelete;-)
Sorry, I really wasn't going to ramble on, but I've also thought some about one-liners. People love them, because they pour everything they believe into them and believe they represent that. Remember "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"? I read that the first time and said, "well, duh, by definition." But of course to the people who support individual gun ownership, that means something very different, it means they'll no longer be able to protect themselves from all the "outlaws."