Saturday, February 07, 2009

Mix-A-6

I went to an IPA tasting at Cardoza's last week and ended up walking out with a mix-a-6 pack. (It's funny how those things happen.) Here are my choices/thoughts.


Troegenator's DoubleBock
It's probably not fair but I have a high expectation for a Double Bock (or Dopplebock - which rolls off the tongue much nicer). A few years ago Buzzard's Bay Brewery made a limited edition Weizen Dopplebock. Holy crap was it delicious! I got myself, my mom, and my uncle hooked on the stuff. They haven't made it since. ::sniff sniff:: Oh right, I'm writing about Troegenator.
I miss BBB's Dopplebock.

Southern Tier's Old Man Winter
It was tasty and drinkable but not really memorable.

Great Divide Brewing Co.'s St. Bridget's Robust Porter
This was a very nice porter. Mellow but not boring. It has just the right amount of roasted malt flavor. It's very robust and delightful to drink. I did not appreciate the pick-up truck silhouette of a woman on the label however.

Avery's Old Jubilation Ale
Basically I picked this one because 1) I've never tried it and 2) it's from Boulder and I love Boulder. Anyway, at first I found this ale had too strong of a barley taste. I ended up eating some Irish aged cheddar cheese and the taste really improved! But I still prefer Abita's Turbodog (brown ale).

Southern Tier's Raspberry Porter
I am not a fan of fruity beers. And I've hated all fruit Lambic's I've tried. But the Raspberry Porter was recommended by Derek, whose beer opinion I trust. If you like fruit and beer combinations, maybe this is for you, but I just didn't like it. It tasted a lot like Raspberry Seltzer.

Founder's Porter
This Porter is dark and rich and it has a strong roast flavor to it - like roasted nuts or malt (go figure). I'm not digging the roasted taste - it's too much for me. I prefer the Great Divide St. Bridget Porter, or Founder's Breakfast Stout.

3 comments:

  1. I take it the Troegenator's DoubleBock was not satisfactory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these reviews. So many beers, so little time.

    ReplyDelete