I'm sure you've seen those white oval bumper stickers many cars have with capital letters inside the oval in black usually designating a place the vehicle owner likes to visit or has visited or wants to show off as having visited. They were really popular a few years ago, and have maintained their popularity as evidenced by the number of stickers I've seen while driving on the road. Popular ones include: CC, SD, MV, BI, ONT, & HI.
When these stickers first became fashionable, it took me a while to understand their reference. I would make up things in my mind that had those initials. Sometimes it got interesting. But eventually I realized what they stood for.
Well, it's fairly recently that I realized what the "LAX" oval stood for. Call me slow, I'll probably just agree with you. But for the longest time, I kept thinking, who the heck would want to visit or hang out at Los Angeles International Airport? I've been through the airport twice myself and trust me there is nothing special about it. Or was there a secret amusement park I wasn't aware of (who knows in Hollywood, right?) There must be. It's the only reason someone would sport an LAX bumper sticker next to a MV bumper sticker.
I'm dumb sometimes.
I first learned about those stickers in high school Spanish class where they were called "ovalos." They are a system used by europeans to mark their cars so that people will know the car's country of origin. So, in Europe they have a practical purpose.
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw them appearing here, I thought they were ridiculous and pretentious.
I had to look up "LAX" to get what it was. And, again, I think it's ridiculous that someone would put a fake European country identifier sticker on their car to indicate their car is from the fake European country of "Lacrosse."
Thanks for the information; I wasn't aware of the origins. They are quite pretentious. But so are many Americans.
ReplyDeleteI suppose the stickers are not used much in most European countries anymore, since the European Union license plates now identify the countries.
And at least I'm not the only one who didn't get LAX. I'm in good company.
The paddywhack the animal with two backs casinos? sieve this heirs [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] commander and wing it denigrate online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
ReplyDeleteyou can also kickback the pail our redesigned [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] teach at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and pay behindhand in principal fabulously irrelevant !
another luxury [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] within an eyelash of is www.ttittancasino.com , pick up of german gamblers, inadvertence in forbearing online casino bonus.