My car had been making a strange noise. So I took it to the mechanic's.
Me: My car is making a wheezing noise when I accelerate.
Mechanic: A wheezing noise?
Me: Yeah. Like it is gasping for a breathe and wheezing.
Mechanic: {blank stare}
Me: I know cars don't breathe but if they could, mine is wheezing.
Mechanic: Okay, when you accelerate, you say?
Me: Yes.
Mechanic: We'll check that out. Is that all?
Me: No, on the way over here, while driving on the highway, I heard a high pitched whistling sound.
Mechanic: Whistling?
Me: Yes, whistling.
Mechanic: Okay. {Typing slowly into a computer} Is that all?
Me: Yes.
Mechanic: Alright, we'll check those things out.
--30 minutes later--
Mechanic: Ma'm, we're not hearing any noises from your car. It sounds fine.
Me: Oh.
Mechanic: But we'd like to take it for a ride to make sure. Could you come with me and point out the sound?
Me: Sure.
(I must have seemed even more like a space case when after getting into the car I said, "Oh, that's where I left my coffee." It was in the cup holder. Luckily, I didn't add, "At least I didn't leave it on the roof.")
--After 15 minutes of driving --
Mechanic: Have you heard the noise yet?
Me: No. It's quite strange, I was hearing it on my way here this morning.
Mechanic: Well, it sounds fine now. If you hear the noise again later, bring the car back in. It's always good to check those things out.
Me: Thanks.
I heard it. It was faint, though.
ReplyDeleteThese things are often temperature sensitive. You might hear it in the morning when the car is cold, but by the time you get it to the shop it is warmed up again and needs to sit overnight before the symptom will recur.
ReplyDelete