Wednesday, November 08, 2006

This past Sunday the girls and I went out to brunch. L had the whole day off which is rare and M had been doing research for an article and heard wonderful things about this breakfast place in Yarmouth. So off we went. At first I thought we were going to the 'Optimus Cafe' and my mind jumped right to Optimus Prime and I was not at all sure what to expect. It wasn't until we got there that I realized my hearing was awful and we were at the Optimist Cafe, which makes a lot more sense. {But an Optimus Prime breakfast place would be awesome!} The building is beautiful. It is an old Captain's House built in 1849. It was a charming little cafe that serves breakfast, lunch, and high tea.


We were seated in this bright yellow room with a fireplace. There were several paintings on the wall and I fell in love with a painting of a peaceful heron sitting in a foggy marsh hung over the fireplace. This place is really adorable. The mugs were adorable, the sugar container was adorable, the plates were adorable, and even the lighting fixtures were adorable. You get the picture. The lighting fixture over our table was a wire mesh hot air balloon. The portions were generous and the food was excellent.

Before leaving, I wanted to check out the restrooms and we ran into the owner. He is exactly the type of man you would expect to own a place called 'The Optimistic Cafe'. He told us several times to be optimistic and look on the bright side. I almost thought he was going to break into song. Anyway, he then gave us a tour of the house! There is a large room upstairs which he wants to turn into a children's play room. Many familiar children's stories were illustrated on the wall. But, the owner changed the endings so everything was optimistic. For example, Humpty Dumpty did not fall of the wall, the kings men helped him down. And Jack and Jill they made it safely down the hill with their pail of water. It was cute. But the best part of the tour was going up into the Widow's Peak! What a view! Of course we could see the water. There is not much room to stand in those things and it did not take long before the three of us felt way too cramped and had to head down. I'd never been in a Widow's Peak before. It was neat. We thanked the owner very much and went on our way. We later worked off our omelets with a long hike in Nickerson State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment