Saturday, January 14, 2006

Problem

I think I've figured out the last problem I was working on... I will have to double check my work because the solution seems to easy. It just came to me the other evening. So I am still contemplating my solution with that problem. But here is the next one I think I'll work on:

"When we stack dominoes with only one touching the table, what is the greatest horizontal distance we can cover keeping in balance using a leaning stack of dominoes where the stack must balance and there can only be one domino per level?"

No cheating and using large dominoes... the distance covered must be measured in units relative to the width of a single domino.

I think I will have to pick up some dominoes when I go out.

5 comments:

  1. I have a guess, and If I'm wrong, I'll be surprised.

    Here's a question, does it matter how many dominoes you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uneducated rambling... What about offsetting the dominoes with a machine? Is that something you can take into account? Like domino #2 is placed on domino #1, offset to the left or right by just a single nanometer. Domino #3 is offset of #2 by 1 nanometer, and offset of #1 by 2 nanometers. Would that provide a more stable base, allowing greater horizontal longevity? Or would it simply be a more tedious and costly approach to offsetting by, say, a millimeter, or centimeter?

    And I don't think you necessarily need to buy dominos. Testing with coins might work out the same; though I suppose shape might end up being a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, it does not matter how many dominoes you use. Just don't make them fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how many dominoes you use, the center of gravity has to be somewhere over the body of the first domino.

    This is the key.

    Does the structure have to be stable at every step of the process?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the center of gravity. I've been thinking about that as well. Yes, the structure has to be stable at every level; I.e. no falling over. In theory anway.

    ReplyDelete